Thursday, March 29, 2018

Un poema para mis estudiantes


Un poema para mis estudiantes

 

You’ve grown up in poverty

But I’ll never call you El Pobre

The American Dream isn’t for you

Because you’re wise enough to want something more


Each of you is guatemalteco

Each of you is American

And I’ve watched as you figure out

What the hell that means

I’ve been there alongside you,

As you search tirelessly for identity

Ever-eluding but not entirely out of reach

 

What you are is an incredible generation

And you have a chance to bring forth

The best of both cultures,

Learning from our mistakes and ignorance

And dragging us along as you change the world

Into a place sin los muros
 

Sadly, I’m leaving you for a while

I will miss being in your life

And hearing you laugh obnoxiously

When I speak bits of Spanish

Como el tonto gringo que soy

 

But our relationship fuels my passion

To learn what I believe is without doubt

The fastest spoken language to date

And I will use that passion

When I am tearing my hair out

Porque no entiendo a los chilenos

And remembering our relationship will push me

To keep speaking broken Spanish

Trying again and again until I can speak

The language that means so much

To us both...

1 comment: