Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Kickass Words I Found in Moby Dick

I just finished reading Moby Dick. It took me almost a year, and I literally feel like I've spent that much time aboard a whaling vessel on the high seas. Here are some of my favorite cool words from the book that I want to start using in place of their more lame counterparts.

zephyr - gentle breeze
foible - minor weakness or failing of character, slight flaw or defect
conflagration - a destructive, extensive fire
obstreperous - unruly
expostulate - to reason earnestly with someone against something that person intends to do or has done
progeny - a descendant or offspring
skylark - frolic
indomitable - can't be subdued or overcome
perennial - long-lasting, enduring
ensconce - settle securely or snugly
inexorable - unyielding
exegesis - critical interpretation of a text, especially the Bible
anathema - hated person or thing
incorrigible - bad beyond correction
osseous - bony
primogeniture - being the firstborn
portent - another word for omen
antediluvian - old, primitive (literally means before the Flood)
preternatural - another word for supernatural, because why not
sinecure - a job you barely have to work for but that makes bank
somnambulism - sleepwalking
celerity - swiftness, speed
pertinacious - holding firm to a purpose, plan, or opinion
raiment - clothes

- A

No comments:

Post a Comment