Thursday, April 5, 2018

The Night I Heard She Died

The worst pizza I've ever had was the one I was eating when I heard the news.
"Something terrible has happened."
A big chunk of pineapple fell off
And it was slimy and my hand was shaking when I picked it up off the hardwood floor.
I couldn't even taste it.
Even so, when the first call ended, I went for another slice, just to see if it would make my stomach feel any less twisted and hollow.
It didn't, and I swallowed half a slice before taking another phone call and resting the remainder
on a sticky note at the edge of my desk.
"I don't know."
"I don't know."
"I don't know."
Every time I exhaled, it sounded like wind.
By the time Tyler called, he thought it didn't go through because I answered the phone in silence.
"Thank you."
"Thank you."
"Thank you."
I laid in bed for an hour and stared at the ceiling.
The next morning, I saw that the corner of my bed's fitted sheet had finally come undone.

No comments:

Post a Comment