Thursday, February 8, 2018

I had to write a paper for my History of Rock class earlier this week and it got me thinking about what makes a song a person's "favorite" song. Is it the beat? The melody? The lyrics? Or just the way you feel when you listen to it? I don't know.

I think trying to break down songs/music to their basic components ruins the intended message. For example,  I've been listening to Kendrick's new song "All the Stars" a lot recently, but I just looked at the lyrics for it tonight and I couldn't really tell what the overarching theme of the song is, but I know I love the song. I wouldn't call it my favorite song or even my favorite Kendrick song (it's "i" simply because of the spoken word section at the beginning), but it's the most streamed Kendrick song on iTunes as of the time of me writing this post. I don't think that's because it's Kendrick's best song, I think it's simply due to it being the most recent Kendrick song to be released.

People are fickle.

No comments:

Post a Comment